Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Roger Clemens vs. The World

The baseball nation today watched as the integrity of their game was questioned on a national stage.

Brian McNamee : “I never injected Roger Clemens or anyone with B12 or Lydocaine.”

Roger Clemens : “Brian McNameee injected me three times with B12 in Toronto.”

What the hell is going on here?

Those two quotes above are just a simple example of what went on earlier today. I’ve spent the last five hours watching Roger Clemens, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, defend himself on national television. The man who claims he personally injected Roger Clemens with steroids sat at the same table with him as they drilled the two with question after question.

Almost every single answer from them was conflicting.

The entire hearing was called at the Rocket’s request. He wanted a chance to clear his name, to hold onto his pride and to tell the entire world that he is innocent.

Is he? I don’t know. The hearing surely opened my eyes to the fact that McNamee is not a very credible person with a terribly dry personality. To put it lightly, McNamee is an asshole.

Usually I am the type of person who will choose to believe that the athlete was doping, especially in baseball. Everyone does. Baseball has become the unofficial mascot for performance-enhancing drugs.

If McNamee is telling the truth, I sure hope nobody ever finds that out.

6 comments:

TNLogan said...

I have mixed feelings on the steroid issue. I love baseball- I'm a fanatic! And I agree with you, because most baseball players are using or have used some sort of performance enhancing drugs. My thoughts? Big deal. When the Mitchell Report came out, the reporters kept saying how damaging it would be to baseball, and that so many fans would abandon the game forever. What?! It wasn't a surprise to me. I didn't shed a tear of devastated realization to see any of those names on the list. Did the Rocket use steroids? My judgement leans toward yes. Do I still love and respect him? Absolutely. Do I agree that McNamee is an asshole? You better believe it.

TNLogan said...

Hey Mike- have you seen this video?? I thought you might appreciate it ;)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6562

Mike Pena said...

Hahaha, I don't know if commenting on your own blog is considered a generally bad idea, but who cares.

that video was hilarious :} the golden girls part was too funny

R.C. Price said...

So what do you say to the comments that it was just a highly publicized Dog and Pony show?

MagicPanda said...

I suppose the most surprising thing about the entire event was that no one was arrested for perjury. Either that, or that the Senate has nothing better to do than discuss steroids in baseball...not as though there's a geopolitically-important war going on or anything...

Christine M said...

Well, requesting the chance to clear your name seems like a great way to make someone else look like a liar even if they're telling the truth.

After the play-by-play the Daily Show had on the testimonies, I have to say I think Clemens is a liar.